[pianotech] Problems with regulating???!!!

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:22:00 MST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett at earthlink.net>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:47 AM
Subject: [pianotech] Problems with regulating???!!!

> Matthew Todd  asked: "I have been regulating a Baldwin M Grand
> this morning.
> ?
> Have run into several issues to which I would covet your
> assistance.
> ?
> 1.)? Exactly how much rise is adequate?

    The hammer should rise "positively" (not sluggishly or
lackadaisically) but shouldn't "snap" up and "dance" or bounce.
It shouldn't rise so energetically that it hits the string.
Enough rise to allow the jack to get back under the knuckle is
adequate, I believe.

> 2.)? I am having a heck of a time regulating the sharps.? The
> naturals are coming along fine (i.e. let-off, drop, rise).?
> The sharps are only 3/8'' high as opposed to the specs of
> 1/2''.? Could that be the problem??

Yes, they should be more like 7/16" or even 1/2" above the
naturals.

And if so, and increasing the height to 1/2'', how would that
affect the dip?

    It would of course increase the dip.  You want the key
height high enough that you can get 3/8" dip,  but not so high
that the key pins are protruding less than 3/16" up into the key
mortises, or that the keys hit the upstop felt on the bottom of
the fallboard, if there is any, or that the bottom front edges
of the keys are exposed above the keyslip.
    Then, (assuming the action is bedded), you want the dip such
that it raises all the keys, naturals and sharps, an equal
amount at the capstan screws, so that all the wippens travel the
same distance.
    --David Nereson, RPT