[pianotech] Tight tuning pins

Randy Rush randyrush at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 2 23:14:04 MST 2009

Regarding the recent discussion about dealing with tight tuning pins when a piano has been restrung with oversize pins, can anyone speak to the efficacy of backing out the pins with a drill and then pounding them back in on an original condition Baldwin grand from the 80's with that stupid Resorcinol-laden pinblock?  (Same problem, pins very tight and jumpy, lots of cracking noises.)  I'm thinking this technique is at least worth a try on one that I have that is a particular problem.

Randy Rush

Seattle