[pianotech] Tight tuning pins

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Dec 3 06:35:39 MST 2009

Hi Randy,

Long time, no see!

I think this is worth a try on that 80's Baldwin. You might even try to
use one of those pin-hole reamer-brushes as well. It might also help to
ease the hole a bit.

Good luck!
Paul

From:
"Randy Rush" <randyrush at earthlink.net>
To:
"pianotech post" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Date:
12/03/2009 02:38 AM
Subject:
[pianotech] Tight tuning pins

Regarding the recent discussion about dealing with tight tuning pins when
a piano has been restrung with oversize pins, can anyone speak to the
efficacy of backing out the pins with a drill and then pounding them back
in on an original condition Baldwin grand from the 80's with that stupid
Resorcinol-laden pinblock?  (Same problem, pins very tight and jumpy, lots
of cracking noises.)  I'm thinking this technique is at least worth a try
on one that I have that is a particular problem.

Randy Rush

Seattle