[pianotech] Regulation

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 4 07:39:14 MST 2009

>> From: Denise Rachel <pp-ff at verizon.net>
>> The replacement plastic is about twice as thick as the original ivory,
>> and no planing was done.  I noticed instantly that the buttons are not
>> even with each other, the white keys being lower at the front of the
>> button.  So this is what I see:  the white key does not go all the way
>> down, no matter how many punching I remove.

The overall height (bottom to top) of the sharps should be
pretty close to 0.5" more than the naturals. With the height
of the naturals increased by the thicker keytop, that has
changed. In operation, the natural extends out over and past
the front rail punchings of the sharps, and just clear them at
full dip. If the natural is made thicker, the key level height
must be made lower, and the natural then can't go to full dip
because it hits the sharp's front punchings before it gets
there. There is nothing you can do to the rest of the action
to make this work. Strip the keytops off, plane the keys down,
and replace the keytops with new to make the naturals 0.5"
thinner (shorter) than the sharps, and then work out the
regulation.
Ron N