[pianotech] Stolen Tools

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Fri Dec 4 08:37:50 MST 2009

> Subject: [pianotech] Stolen Tools
>
> My tool case was the victim of a smash and grab this morning, in
> Northeast Los Angeles. It was my day-to-day kit; tuning hammers,
> voicing and regulating tools, utility tools. I'm sure the meth head
> who got the case has no idea of what any of it even is, but if anyone
> sees a bunch of tools coming up for sale in the LA area, especially if
> it looks like the person selling them is not legit, please contact me
> off list at david at professionalpianoservice.com or 323-255-7783. Thanks.

I went through this last year and my tools cost me well over $1,500 to
replace.  Don't forget to check ebay and craigslist on a regular basis, that
is an excellent place for thieves to launder stolen items.  Also try the
local pawn shops in the area of where the crime occurred.  It doesn't hurt
to file a police report although it won't likely help.  Mine were stolen out
of my Silvarado due to a vulnerability that GM built into their lock design.
In seconds flat a thieve can "punch" the lock inward and the whole thing
falls into the door.  It's only held in place inside with a stupid plastic
clip.  A screw driver in the hole will instantly unlock it.  There is an
after market kit called a "Jimmy-Jammer" that allows you to repair the
defect which I installed.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV