[pianotech] choice of hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Dec 5 18:51:00 MST 2009

I didn't see it as a debate rather an attempt to define terms.  I can fully
understand not wanting to work with lacquer in hammers.  I would prefer to
find a hammer that required no such additives except maybe at the very
extremes (top and/or bottom).  Up until now most hammers, in my view, were
either hard or soft.  Not much in the middle.  But a hammer that requires
100 stitches on each side in order to arrive at the desired consistency, in
my view, either isn't made that well  or chosen that well, one of the two.
I do wish there were more choices in the medium range where a handful of
stitches on either side was all that was necessary.  I would prefer that
over the use of lacquer but prefer the modest use of lacquer over 100
stitches per side.  There are now a couple coming closer to that but few.
While I like the Weikert and Wurzen felt hammers from Ronsen they are soft
for many applications and too soft for some people's taste admittedly (it is
ultimately a custom(er) choice).  Personally, I don't mind that a hammer
takes awhile to develop and most of my customers don't either.  If the use
of the piano is such that it's not played frequently enough or vigorously
enough to develop that last 10-15% then I don't mind pushing it up there,
but I'd rather not.  As I mentioned, when they are allowed to develop for
that last bit I think they sound better and the voicing is more stable, but
that's my opinion.  I've seen techs who want to soak the firm Renner and
Abel hammers with lacquer to achieve their immediate power needs.  I'm just
not there with that particular aesthetic and neither are many (if any) of my
customers.  So the discussion, to me, is more to do with defining exactly
what "power" is and, moreover, what the trade off is.  You can't have it
all.  To get something you give up something.  I don't believe that you can
achieve the maximum power along with the most delicate pianissimo.  If you
shoot for maximum power you will raise the lowest level of your pianissimo
and if you choose the most delicate pianissimo you will sacrifice some upper
end power.  On a scale of 1-10 you don't get to choose the whole range.
It's 1-7 or 3-10 or 2-8 or something like that.  Further, with many pianos
aiming for ultimate power simply creates ultimate distortion at the upper
levels or noise.  The purpose for discussions like this, then, is for the
readers who are still wrestling with which direction to go, wondering what's
out there in terms of all the hammer choices that are presented, what they
will deliver and what the up and downside might be for those choices.  The
discussion is more about that than offering an opinion on what you should
put on your own piano.  That, of course, is entirely up to you.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com