[pianotech] Consensus of technique

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Dec 6 08:46:07 MST 2009

Last summer in Oberlin, Kent Webb talked a bit about 1098's.  He suggests
getting the string to pitch and stop.  I tried it here at UNL and it does
work.  I'm not sure why just 1098's.
Paul

From:
"Ken & Pat Gerler" <kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net>
To:
<pianotech at ptg.org>
Date:
12/06/2009 06:37 AM
Re: [pianotech] Consensus of technique

It also depends on the age of the piano and the condition of the pin
block.
If the torque is very low, the pin is not "twisting" as you tune and in
addition, if the string is rendering easily, just bringing the string to
pitch will be the best you can do. If a piano has the conditions I have
noted, when you go past and try to bring the string into tune, it will go
flat, past the point you want it to be in tune.

As has been noted, with piano that are "in good shape", and depending on
how
high the torque is on the pins, I always go slightly sharp when "settling"

the pin in and then "tweak" the hammer back and forth to see if the pin is

"solid" and the pitch will stay where I put it.

Ken Gerler