[pianotech] Consensus of technique

Randy Chastain Randy_Chastain at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 6 10:45:55 MST 2009

I have a related question that happened to  me yesterday. It was a
probably 1940s baby grand and it tuned very well, surprisingly, with
good pin torque and tuning stability until the last 2 octaves. The
pins were snapping and jumping  severely. I usually have good fine
control of my hammer in these kind of situations but on this one I was
afraid I might pop a string. It didn't look like any"fluid" had been
placed around the pins...no evidence of that.
Any suggestions as to what it is and any way to make it more tunable?

Randy Chastain
Golden Gate Chapter