[pianotech] Consensus of technique

Kerry kerrykean at att.net
Sun Dec 6 09:02:24 MST 2009

I totally agree, every piano (and often every section of a piano) has a
different combination of pin torque, tension, resistance at the friction
points, etc. Some require pounding in combination with pin movement, while
others become unstable that way. It seems to me that the need to go above
the pitch and bring it down has more to do with removing pin twist and
settling it in the hole than actually moving the string. I don't think
there's any one way that's right except what David said about minimal
movement. And don't you just love those pianos that are so well behaved that
you can just sliiiide them right in...and they stay there!

Kerry Kean
www.ohiopianotuner.com