[pianotech] Damper Issue???

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Sun Dec 6 14:35:56 MST 2009

Hi Matthew,

I know you've had several other replies, but will add my two cents as I just
encountered and successfully corrected the exact same problem about two
weeks ago on a 1970s Baldwin L.

I believe you will find the top portion of the damper wire which runs at an
angle over to the damper head is touching the right string when the damper
falls.

To correct this, you will need to change a couple of the wire bends: right
where the wire goes into the head, and the next bend down (above the guide
rail), for starters.  First, check to see if the lower bend (above the guide
rail) starts a little lower than others, or if the angle is different.  Use
the long grand damper wire hook to hold the wire from underneath (action
removed) and change the bend.  Making less of an angle (essentially
straightening the wire some) will take the bend away from the string. But
this will also change the head, of course, and you'll need to correct the
top bend to compensate, using the same tool.

In my case, I also adjusted the lower bends below the guide rail so that the
wire would ride on the left side of the guide rail bushing, compensating for
the head being moved a little to the right because of the less acute bend
above the rail.  Making the wire hug the left of the guide hole centered the
head over the strings.

Remember a little bending goes a long way.

Hope this is of some help.  Lots of other good possibilities were presented
as well, so I'm sure you'll find something that works.

Paul
--
Paul Milesi
Registered Piano Technician (RPT)