[pianotech] Bass String Installation Fee

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 13:52:07 MST 2009

Ditto for what David said.  I too, double the charge or close to it.  After
all, it is my time calling in the order in the first place along with taking
measurements on the string.  Next, they also pay for shipping and handling
charges.  Then, I charge a service call which only, gets me to the door like
most other companies do.....an appliance repair man or plumber comes to
mind.  Then, I charge an additional charge for my time to install it.  The
clock starts ticking when I get out of the car.  I also charge to remove the
old wire as well as the coil and turning the tuning pin out to the correct
height prior to installation of the new wire.

I do mute the string as David does saving future service calls for the
customer and I stretch the dickens out of it prior to leaving too, making
sure that the string is level with the other wires around it.  You don't
want one wire higher or lower because we were fooling around stretching it.
If they prefer to have me make additional trips (concert work comes to mind)
over there to tune it back up rather than to mute it, that's fine too.  Then
I charge a service call for each return trip.  Plus a few extra dollars
because 90% of the time, the piano is loaded back up with crap again that I
have to remove.

Of course, all of this should be explained to them in advance of the work.

I figure this way...  My car doesn't operate on air...  I might though...
My expenses do not change so I'm not about to give my time away for nothing.
I'm sure that'll bring some smart comments back...  But, that's how I do it.

Jer