[pianotech] Replacing plastic elbows

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 7 21:47:20 MST 2009

I agree with others about using a soldering iron on the old elbows to remove the portion between the yolks of the whippen.

If you want an easy way to screw the new elbows to the wires, here's how I do it.  Take a pair of large vice grip pliers and butt them up to the part of the old elbow that remains on the wire.  Clamp them tight and then remove the remaining part of the elbow either by tapping the part on a sharp edge or by crushing it with another pair of pliers.  This marks the position of the old elbow in the wire.  Place the new elbow on the wire and just spin the wire, using the vice grips kind of like a flywheel.  Spin until the new elbow butts up against the vice grips and you've located it exactly where the old one was.  It helps if you keep the wires in the order they were on the action if you want to minimize your lost motion adjustments.

Jim