[pianotech] lyer system question

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 21:06:42 MST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:29 AM, <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> On the ends of the pedals rod is a pin. That pin fits into a hole that
> operates the damper system. The pin in the rod is supposed to have a rubber
> sleeve on it. Or if there is a rubber sleeve, it might be worn away right
> where it touches the hole in the damper lever. I carry around a foot long
> section of 1/8" inside diameter rubber hose, which you can get at a auto
> parts store, that fits onto the pin. In a pinch, you can also wrap the pin
> with masking tape, but that is only a short term solution.

What about glueing a felt bushing on the lever arm? It's in Steve Brady's
repair book. I generally do this whenever the little rubber bushing things
from Schaff won't fit in the hole. It's a good, permanent job.

In case you don't have the book, the basics are as follows. Cut and tear
bushing to correct width (about 3X larger than the hole). Cut about 3/4"
slit in the part that will be on the underside of the lever (offset a little
from the center of the cloth). Glue and clamp for a few minutes. My clamp is
usually the vise grips that I carry in my repair kit. Works well. :-)

--
JF