[pianotech] M&H BB Damper set needed

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Thu Dec 10 15:33:06 MST 2009

Greetings All,

I am restoring a 1927 Boston Mason & Hamlin BB #35000. The piano arrived
in our shop missing the bass damper guide rail, and the entire set of
damper heads and wires (long story).

The entire damper set includes 71 damper heads / wires (21 note bass and
50 tenor / treble dampers). A shot in the dark, I know; but there is
always a possibility that someone out there knows where I might obtain
an original Rosewood set, and / or a bass damper guide rail.

Steinway offers complete damper / wire sets. Has anyone had any success
in modifying a Steinway B (or any model) to fit another mfgs. piano? I
wonder about the required length of the M&H wires as compared. The bass
/ tenor break will be tricky due to extra long wires and specially
shaped heads.

Thanks for any thoughts or lines on obtaining parts.

And Michael Spreeman, assuming I can find the wires, I may end up
considering those many left over new damper heads cluttering up your
otherwise immaculate shop!

Cheers

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild