[pianotech] M&H BB Damper set needed

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 13 09:11:44 MST 2009

I have wires too.

Michael Spreeman
www.RavenscroftPianos.com

From: gravagnegang at att.net
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:33:06 -0700
Subject: [pianotech] M&H BB Damper set needed

Greetings All,

I am restoring a 1927 Boston Mason & Hamlin BB #35000. The piano arrived in our shop missing the bass damper guide rail, and the entire set of damper heads and wires (long story).

The entire damper set includes 71 damper heads / wires (21 note bass and 50 tenor / treble dampers). A shot in the dark, I know; but there is always a possibility that someone out there knows where I might obtain an original Rosewood set, and / or a bass damper guide rail.

Steinway offers complete damper / wire sets. Has anyone had any success in modifying a Steinway B (or any model) to fit another mfgs. piano? I wonder about the required length of the M&H wires as compared. The bass / tenor break will be tricky due to extra long wires and specially shaped heads.

Thanks for any thoughts or lines on obtaining parts.

And Michael Spreeman, assuming I can find the wires, I may end up considering those many left over new damper heads cluttering up your otherwise immaculate shop!

Cheers

Nick Gravagne, RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Member Society Manufacturing Engineers