[pianotech] Effects of replacing keytops without routing down keysticks

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Sun Dec 13 00:51:44 MST 2009

OK, I think I¹m pushing my own envelope now, and really need some advice
from the experts.

I took on a 1915 Steinway M action for rebuilding (all new parts ­
verdigris).  Have had it in storage for a few months because customer was
out of the country and wanted me to take it.

Anyway, now that I¹m looking at it more closely, I realize that when the
keys were recovered about 20 years ago with 1/16² plastic, no routing down
of keysticks, but solid, clean job.  Sharps appear to be the original ebony
in very good shape.  Keyframe felts are a mess.  When I lifted backrail
cloth, somebody shimmed it with a thin cardboard under the red felt and
glued both sides of green down (isn¹t backside usually not glued?).  I¹m
guessing this was because the new keytops brought the keys too high for
fallboard or hammer stop rail?  However, my key height measurements show
height about 3/32² lower than 2-19/32² spec.  Dip is shallow, too.
Relationship of sharp to natural is excellent as currently set up, however.
I don¹t have the piano here, so can¹t check key height, etc. against case
parts.  :(

With replacement keytops mentioned above, will I be able to make this action
work after installing all new frame felts and new S&S hammers, shanks,
flanges, wippens, let-off regulating buttons?  Should I expect the worst, or
might tolerances be wide enough that I can put a proper regulation on it?
Are we ever lucky enough that when keytops have been replaced without
routing keystick, the action still works?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Paul
--
Paul Milesi, RPT