[pianotech] back rail cloth, (was of replacing keytops)

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Dec 13 09:40:25 MST 2009

Dale writes:

  >>BTW All vintage Steinway had the back rail glued on both sides. We still put it back that way.  There is always an underlayment of  red felt & sometimes a shim of the  red colored oil board that Steinway has used forever. The back of the key always stops precisely with out bounce and the hammer line doesn't wander

  I am not sure about the "all" part of this.   My experience with many Steinways from before 1920 is that the back rail cloth is usually not glued at the back. I am speaking of untouched pianos.  I haven't noticed any less stability with it done this way, and, it seems to lessen the noise.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT