[pianotech] Effects of replacing keytops without routing down keysticks

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Dec 13 08:58:15 MST 2009

Hi Paul
  Original Ivory is usually .035 to .040/1 mm so a .060 key/1.5 mm is only .020 thicker than the original Ivory. If the sharps are set up to 1/2"/12 mm and the key dip isn't excessive then really reg. is probably not a problem.  As Long as the sharps aren't buried at full key travel. If you replace with thicker plastic of .090 it may be an issue.
  Also JD raises a practical solution but...
 If later the client wishes to install a set of pre-ban Ivory they are generally .060 from Warthers and I'm guessing you could order the Ivory any thickness you want to so as to address your key wood thickness concerns. Just a thought.
  BTW All vintage Steinway had the back rail glued on both sides. We still put it back that way.  There is always an underlayment of  red felt & sometimes a shim of the  red colored oil board that Steinway has used forever. The back of the key always stops precisely with out bounce and the hammer line doesn't wander
  Dale