[pianotech] Effects of replacing keytops without routing down keysticks

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Dec 13 15:29:29 MST 2009

 Hi Paul
 Well we ruin the oil board all the time.  Its not sacred, its just a shim. We often use strips of cardboard cut from flange boxes. To replace the back rail cloth we first measure the overall original felt height above the keybed. Then soak with Hot water & vinegar to soften the glue . Soak it good and let it sit for an hour then steam it off. Replace the felt,usually it is a very thick piece, Glue the front edge down,slip in the red felt & shims with just enough glue to tack it in place and stretch the felt a bit as the back edge is glued and clamped down. We use spring clamps and the Renner slats that come in the shank boxes as cauls.
   We use the oil board for under string shimming. Its hard and doesn't compress. It is available in sheets from Stwy. Not cheap but available.
 Next yer gonna wanna know what the action ratio is & what dimesnion parts to use....aaaand the hammmer weight etc. etc.. Swim quickly! yikes
 Dale