[pianotech] Methods for refinishing sharps

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 07:35:11 MST 2009

Hello again - Concerning my inquiry pertaining to methods used when
refinishing sharps, I have a list now of 6 specific techniques which I
intend to put to the test. They are:

1. Sand down to 600 grit and wipe down with acetone. Dye with high
quality shoe maker's leather dye, finish with ureathane. (Michael
Spreeman)

2. Scrub with TSP using maroon scotchbrite pad. Sand level where
necessary. Clean with naptha and 0000 Liberon steel wool. Spray with
dewaxed shellac tinted with black dye. Lightly sand with 600 to level
surface where necessary, and top coat with flat or satin lacquer,
enamel or urethane. (Mark Potter)

3. Wash keys with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol. Let dry, then
spray with Krylon Semi-Flat Black #1613. (Bill Costanzo)

4. Sand to 220 grit, then wipe on TransTint dye (Homestead products).
Once dry wipe on a couple coats of Min-Wax wipe-on gloss polyurethane.
Finish by buffing on buffing wheel with black bar polish (William R.
Monroe and Allan Gilreath)

5. Strip with Savogran Original semi-paste Strypeeze, wash with
Soilax, let dry and rub with 0000 steel wool. Paint softwood keystick
below the ebony with Higgins Calligrapy waterproof black ink.  (Mike
Spaulding)

6. Strip with Jasco 5 minute stripper with sharp in holding rack
upside down (to avoid having stripper run down into the front rail
bushings), using #3 steel wool to clean off softened finish. Wipe dry
and futher clean with lacquer stripper. Polish on buffing wheel using
black bar polish to accentuate the blank hue, or red tripoli (which
has iron oxide as its abrasive) to accentuate the brownish hue. Rub
out polish with soft cloth and do nothing else. (My current technique)

Now then, I'll be experimenting with these techniques on some old sets
of keys, using an octave's worth of sharps for each method. If anyone
else has a different technique that they use, I would be glad to add
to the list - just post your method to the list.

 Once the trial runs have been done, I'll be writing up a Small Shop
article for the Journal for publication next spring some time. If
anyone listed above would rather not be mentioned in the article, or
if you would rather credit someone else who you got the idea from,
just let me know.

Thanks for all your suggestions. As soon as I have purchased all the
products necessary, I be on my way with this. It should be fun and
informative. Chuck