[pianotech] Selective Memory...was ...Re: OT Sounds, Noise. our noisy world yada yada

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri Dec 18 18:36:49 MST 2009

Yes, we do have selective memory. I never did have a Bose sound system in my
shop. Before I got married my old house-mate (Larry Erbes) bought a set of
Bose speakers that we used with my old Dynaco amp and pre-amp. (Which I wish
I still had!) But except on rare occasions when we were showing off it was
never cranked up all that loudly. When I got married and he moved out I
replaced the Bose speakers with a set that I designed and built up from raw
drivers. Those went up in flames when we had our house fire and were
replaced with another set I designed and built myself. As are the speakers I
have now-Usher drivers in my own cabinets.

I've never been much on overly loud music. I mostly keep it no louder than
the orchestra would be from about 15 to 20 rows back. Or an acoustical jazz
group might be in a typical jazz club. Which is, I suppose, louder than most
folks would have it set for background music. But hardly enough to cause
permanent hearing damage. That came from my own stupidity-not wearing
adequate hearing protection in my own shop and, later, in factories.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue