[pianotech] How to tune a Winter spinet

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 18 22:05:13 MST 2009

John Formsma wrote:
>Should we really say, "It
> needs a match!" :-D   (rhetorical sarcastic question)

Why not? My wife's father used to tell them that "If it was a
horse, I'd shoot it". I've always been fond of the "crappie
shelter" suggestion myself. Homeless fish need help too, you
know, and you avoid the visual of whacking ol' Dobbin.

The truly horrifying thing for me here is that the church has
two of these things with consecutive serial numbers. How might
this tragedy occur? Did the church suddenly feel the need to
commit mass (?) stupidity and buy two winter spinets one day?
I'd bet the farm against that one, though somewhat reluctantly
(being a big fan of mass stupidity). This leaves donations for
social credit and tax write off. The Wumpersons donated the
lone used D in the sanctuary as a memorial to Great Uncle
Bilious, but the Ampersands donated TWO, count 'em, TWO brand
new pianos in Mary Louise Louise Redundant's name, soundly
trumping the Wumpersons two to one in donation volume, and at
a quite reasonable price at that! How can it possibly get
better? Well, if they'd had a couple of old uprights to
unload, they wouldn't have had to go shopping for the absolute
cheapest new pianos they could find, but you sometimes have to
make concessions to the situation of the moment. The important
thing is trumping the Wumpersons, with the write off a close
second.

The unregulated benefactor, and the official committee, are
among the most dangerous forces careening through the
unnatural affairs of the species.

Ron N