[pianotech] BB Mason and Tenor Cross over

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Dec 19 21:27:30 MST 2009

  Hey Al
  SInce you are rehabbing a BB soon ....I forgot to mention that I have tried less invasive alternatives to smooth out the break at the tenor bass cross over. The Mason & Hamlin BB the client complained of the tonal disparity. Ahhh, A bright young man is he. So I simply added three wrapped bi-chord unisons to the first three tenor notes,no. 22,23,24 and the results are very pleasing. It is an excellent break. It required adding only one hitch pin and installing 3 Bi-chord agrafes.
 Nothing fancy to plug the three eextra tuning pin holes. I used ...the tuning pins in case years later someone has the audacity to make it original again. But if they want to they can.
  First tried this on the infamous Steinway B cross over and it is also a significant improvement at nominal effort.
  I got to thinking about the Baldwin F and how many long wrapped tenor bi-chords were used. Arledge tell me they are high tensioned and hard to make but he had no difficulty with strings for eith modification. it figired that these modification could also be successful.
 Give it a whirl
  Cheers
  Dale Erwin