[pianotech] BB Mason and Tenor Cross over

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Dec 20 23:36:26 MST 2009

That's interesting that you find the need to boost the tension in notes 20 -
26.  I find that I prefer to drop the tension slightly from note 20 - 26 on
Steinway pianos when compared with the original.  In fact, I find that the
bichord section generally benefits from a reduction in tension as you can
see illustrated below.  Combined with using a thinner core wire dimension in
the monochords (Ao is .051) makes for a nicer bass response with much
clearer pitch recognition.  That kind of change, btw, is fairly common these
days with many stringmakers/scalers.  This is a Steinway L that got a new
board and a 5 note transition bridge.  The top graph is the original scale,
the bottom one is the modified scale.  Tension is in red.  You can see that
notes 11 - 26 have been brought down somewhat and the low tenor smoothed
out.  The sound in the bass here has more than adequate power but it now
feels like the bass is at least coming from the same piano as the rest of
the scale.  You can also see that the treble end has been boosted somewhat
mostly changing the speaking lengths just slightly in the capo section
mostly and trying to adhere a bit more to something somewhat more
logarithmic.   By looking at the purple line (speaking lengths) you can get
a sense of the shape of the long bridge and tenor connector (bottom graph).

Original Scale

Modified Scale

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com