[pianotech] String scaling was BB Mason and Tenor Cross over

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Dec 21 20:41:35 MST 2009

Actually the first double wrapped Mono-chords I experienced on a 9 ft. Stwy was for me a happy accident. I simply gave Chip at Areledge a memo saying unless further notified send all Bass mon-chords double wrapped. I actually didn't mean for him to do the 9 ft this way but when I got back to the shop.... they were on and it turned out I like it. It was David Andersens Stwy D ....ask him his opinion.
  Dale

David Love wrote:
> That would concur with my experience on 9' pianos. Those
> scales I've ordered have not come back with double wraps on
> the monos. I don't tend to specify double or single wraps
> but rather order by dimension (inner core and outer
> diameter) and let the string maker decide the best way to
> achieve that. On most everything up to a B that seems to
> result in double wrapped monochords, on the D single wrap
> seems to do the trick.

I specify "monochords double wrap where possible", and haven't seen a double wrap come back for a 9' piano yet.
Ron N