[pianotech] broaches for flange bushing

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Dec 26 14:55:13 MST 2009

 Greetings,
     I clean mine with a wipe of acetone or lacquer thinner about every 44 uses,(twice a line on an action repin). Teflon work, more often. Verdigris work, I use a tapered reamer and go real fast.
  I also (very lightly) roll the straight broach/reamer between two very fine tooth files occasionally. Be forewarned, after a fresh roll, they can cut approx. 1 or 1 1/2 sizes larger so experiment with a scrap bushing and the pin you want to use.    There is also a difference in the 'tooth' when the broaches are rolled between files turned the same way vs. in opposition to one another.
  Another refinement that has helped speed the work is to roll a very aggressive tooth on the broach at the very base of the tool. It shouldn't be more than two mm wide on the shaft.   This will cut a looser bushing fit than the rest of the burnisher.  When pinning to a specific pin size, the broach may not quite open a bushing enough, yet the next size up will require a larger pin.  In this case, sliding all the way down to the bottom,  the coarse broach at the base can be used to ream one bushing at a time to an incremental size.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT