[pianotech] side cutters

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 26 23:08:39 MST 2009

I bit the bullet 40 years ago and bought a top quality set of diagonal cutters made by Starret and they are still in excellent condition and cut as good as they did on day one.  I use them for cutting wire in the shop for restringing.  In the field, I don't want to carry a specialized cutter just for occasional use, so I use the cutter on a 4" vice grip which I also use to secure the wire when tying knots to splice strings along with a variety of other uses.  The best way to ruin a pair of needle nose pliers or cheap dags is to cut music wire with them.  It's just too hard for a soft cutting surface.  Top quality cutters with their highly tempered cutting edges won't get dull with use unless you are cutting something that is harder than they are.
Jim