[pianotech] A new soundboard

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Dec 27 08:55:38 MST 2009

Jan
  You are welcome. Go to my web site and click on soundboards. Some basic info and picture. I have many other pictures I can send you ,As can  others on this list.
   There are many sound boards in European pianos that need replacing but currently it seems it is the habit to resist replacement in favor of repair.
  So maybe you can change the habit one at a time and breathe new life into these old wonders.

  Dale Erwin
  WWW.Erwinspiano.com

Hi Dale Erwin,

thanks for your mail!
This is for me a very big step to ask questions to people I never see. That in combination with a different language that is difficult for me. I have read a book, it was written by Julius Blüthner, Lehrbuch des fortepianobaues. very interesting and it's nice to see the illustrations and see the different models of soundboards they made. I have much to learn about this. When I have more questions , I send a mail too you or the forum.

Thank you,
 Jan

HI Jan
  I see nobody responded and so I wanted to do so and also tell you I am an acquaintance of Andre Ooerbeek.
  Perhaps you have read his book. (My endorsement is on the inside cover). I have installed many soundboard's in the last 15 years. There are many tricks and tips. A fundamental basic understanding of how the soundboard system works is needed and essential so your goal can be reached.
  The simple list is a soundboard with the appropriate sized rib with the appropriate amount of crown cut into them are installed on the sound board.
 Then the correct downbearing procedure must be determined. All these things are not an easy task but you started in the right place by asking questions. Now you must be willing to read and educate yourself. Here's how.
  There has been volumes of experienced information written on this list in the last ten years. Much by me and much by others. Everyone has a different approach and philosophy and you must choose which one sounds good for you. Building a soundboard structure that will both function musically and maintain its crown over a long period of time is important It is an Engineered wood working project.
 Look thru the PTG list Archives under soundboards and also by name. for example David Love, Ron Nossaman, Del Fandrich. WIll Truit, myself and others for starters
  Give it a look and then get back to me.
  Merry Christmas
  Dale Erwin