[pianotech] c clamp

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Dec 29 11:51:47 MST 2009

Isaac, (and Brian),

I do this now since you (Isaac) showed it to me. This is by far the fastest method.

The  "old way" was;  simply cut off the pin with large dikes, pull out the pedal, punch out the old part of the pin still in the pedal with a nail punch, replace the pedal, then push a new pin through the hole with a modified C-clap that has a hole in it to permit the pin to pass through the bottom end of the clamp. This may be the tool you were looking for. (Picture attached) Sometimes it was a pain, if not impossible to get the clamp in with all the Trapwork in the way. Sometimes the pin isn't tight in the pedal center so this method won't work. Isaac's innovation is good and works EVERY time, and as usual, he's thought it through well. That's why he gets the big bucks! <G>

Best,
Jim Busby