[pianotech] Applying PVC-E to new plastic keytops

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Dec 30 13:10:58 MST 2009

David Stocker wrote:
> PVC-E has some gap filling capacity, but the straighter the surface, the
> better. Much depends on how you surface the key. I find if I actively
> press down on the entire length of the top, I have few problems. I may
> have a couple with some air gaps that can be fixed with some glue on a
> pallet knife.

It's another of my many personal gripes, I suppose. I don't
much like finding I have to fix something I've just done. It
happens anyway, but I try to minimize the need when I can. I
have an old Oslund key machine set, so flat tops and square
fronts aren't a problem for the key sticks. Tops are another
story.

> I think like the idea of masking tape better than a spring clamp. I'm
> sure the spring clamp works better, but if I don't have to own another
> large uni-tasker tool, . . .

That's why I started doing the tape. I had it right there.

> Glue sizing sounds interesting, if it increases PVC-E's effectiveness.

Does it? Seems to me it would make more problems than it
solved. The fuzzed surface of the planed key doesn't bother
thick PVCE. It just lays down and doesn't interfere. Get it
good and hard with absorbed glue sizing, and it seems to me it
would get in the way. I haven't tried it on key tops, but
that's the way it works in other cases.
Ron N