[pianotech] Applying PVC-E to new plastic keytops

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:45:12 MST 2009

PVC-E has some gap filling capacity, but the straighter the surface, the
better. Much depends on how you surface the key. I find if I actively press
down on the entire length of the top, I have few problems. I may have a
couple with some air gaps that can be fixed with some glue on a pallet
knife.

I think like the idea of masking tape better than a spring clamp. I'm sure
the spring clamp works better, but if I don't have to own another large
uni-tasker tool, . . .

Glue sizing sounds interesting, if it increases PVC-E's effectiveness. Part
of the appeal of PVC-E is that it never gets hard and can take the abuse of
hard playing. Too thin would not be better. What made you think of glue
sizing?

David Stocker, RPT
Fir Tree Piano
Tumwater, WA