[pianotech] Ironing bushing cloth - Best Bushing Job Ever

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sun Feb 1 05:37:22 PST 2009

Hi William,

Your regimen looks good and efficient.  I like the key words "warm"
as in not too hot and "teflon" as in lubricating the bushing felt...
very important.  I use the Spurlock High Density Polyethylene Cauls.
I don't see any difference in using brass calls.  It's all about the
combination of dimension of the hole and thickness of the cloth.  I
like the hole sizing method... nice flat sides to the wood....

The "too much" I referred to is the tendency that techs have to rely
on the iron instead of easing.  Usually this happens when the new
bushings hit summer humidity and the keys get tight across the board
and they think a quick fix is to hit them all with a hot iron.
Over-ironing just makes the felt harder and less resilient and it's
easy to damage the complex molecular structure of the wool fibers and
make them brittle and lifeless.  Cold or warm easing to actually
crush the wood fibers slightly is the permanent answer in these cases
even though it time consuming and takes focus and skill.

I imagine an ideal bushing as always being tight but not too tight.
Of course the safest, from a stand point of avoiding sticking keys,
is to make them loose or too loose but for a pianist to feel
connection and control, loose doesn't help.  A bushing that is tight
all the time but not too tight will give the pianist a feeling of
connection, and confidence that they are off to a sure footed start
as the finger first connects and starts to move the key.  So I would
put forth this ideal as an aiming point:

That when a key bushing is it's loosest - in the driest part of the
year, the bushing felt is just slightly pushing against the key
pin....  So that there is actually a little friction there.  When the
bushing is it's tightest - in the most humid part of the year, the
bushing cloth pushes a little more against the pin but not so much
that the bushing will seize  become so tight as to significantly
impede the movement of the key.

The resiliency of felt makes it possible to have a key that is tight
(snug) in the dry and tighter in the humid because the felt allows
for dimensional change.  If the bushings were just wood they would be
tight in dry and jammed in the humid.

Here's a technique I just tried and on a set of pesky bushings that
had been replaced but not played on too much.  They had a nice divot
in the felt were the balance rail pins rested...  The pins were a
standard .146" so I used a spare pin of the same diameter to check
the tightness by moving the loose pin in the bushing with key in
hand.  A very fine degree of judgement as to the tightness was
possible with this method.  With a heat gun I quickly heated up the
easing pliers so they were hot to the touch and eased and flattened
the bushing.  Only so much heat resides in the metal so it's harder
to over heat the felt this way.  If I over eased I would hit the
bushing with steam from an electric kettle to expand the crushed wood
and felt, then re-ease.

David Stanwood