[pianotech] Do fourths beat faster?

Brian Wilson pianocare2 at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 6 19:05:26 PST 2009

Sorry , but how can you have the "same rolling beat"? You think they all
sound the same? 1 to 2 beats per second is a large difference, in fact they
are different speeds !

Let's start at the beginning. A37 (let's say it's in tune") A fourth above
is D42. The theory is that a fourth harmonics is 4:3. So the frequency of
A37 (220 x 4 = 880) and the frequency of D42 (293.664776 x 3 = 880.994328)
The difference is .994328 beats per second expanded... so we round that off
to 1 beat per second. If you are bothered to investigate further, you will
find that the beat rates increase as you travel chromatically higher and
decrease as you travel towards the bass.

Now an example: F33 beats against A37 (major 3rd) approx 7 beats per second.
F33 beats against D42 approx 8 beats per second.(major 6th) A#38 beats
against D42(major 3rd) approx 9.5 beats per second. Now do the math.... does
F33 and A#38 beat at 1 beat per second? NO it is slower... It works out to
be .78917 beats per second. You work it out. Now try calculations in
different octaves. Try remembering 1.0594631.

The reason we say that fourths beat at 1 beat per second it so that it is a
guide, and to achieve equal temperament, we need to use 3rds and 6ths,
otherwise you get something which is just near the ball park.

Now before you start telling me about inharmonicity, when you are tuning
octaves (towards treble) tune octave just above where you want it, check
fifth (compressed) fourth beats slightly faster (expanded) Then listen to
the 3rds, 6ths or 10ths to lock it in place.i.e  gradually increasing in
speed. I then keep this process until I can use 2 octaves and 3rd, triple
octaves etc. You compensate for inharmonicity in your stretch (better
described as a temper) The fourths may "sound the same" because you should
be using the same process from note to note.

It is paramount that you understand the theory of the tuning process to
apply that knowledge to achieve an equal tempered piano.

Before any more posts on this subject, please work out the theory. It is a
proven fact and not based on empirical or practical ideas. Look in a text
book. I was examined on this several times.
We don't need to discuss how many tunings we have all performed to justify
our knowledge.

Regards
Brian