[pianotech] WNG Backchecks

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sat Feb 14 18:28:28 PST 2009

Thanks Ed,

  The WNG hammer arcing jig puts the arc a little bit further back on the tail than the Spurlock jig. This should give better clearance of the hammers at rest position.
  best I can tell, that's what it's like working on pianos.

  <<<Just last Tuesday our chapter was treated to a great class on WNG Back Check installation at Piano Disk by Jerry Reiersen and Mark Burgett. I think it will be taught at the California Regional.
  Yes I do have the WNG tail cutting jig.
  The ones that we put on in the shop, check and hold in the up and down direction exceptionally well. The catching portion of the buckskin is limited to not much more than the surface area that is cut into the hammer tail so there should be no issues with high checking and hammer grabbing the back check.  I have heard that checking can be made at 9.5mm. Looking forward to experimenting with this.
  Will be curious to know as more folks use them if the standard installation procedure will work on short and long keys equally well.
  Gene

  Ed