[pianotech] Double-Wides

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 11:08:28 PST 2009

Hi Terry,

Sorry for the time lag--just getting caught up on this thread.  Interesting that you use 1o tuning pins.  The one "experiment" I have heard about using smaller diameter tuning pins in a piano where there is plate webbing over the tuning pin field did not turn out well.  The conclusion was that the smaller diameter pin flag-poled too much with the coil that far from the pin block (unlike in the "open-window" pin blocks of pianos like Bosendorfer that allow the coils to be just slightly above the block itself, not above the plate webbing, which adds several mm to the distance from the block).

But you have not had this problem?

Thanks,

Alan Eder