[pianotech] Tuning test idea - fly or not ?

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 10:28:07 PST 2009

Duaine:

I remember reading of a set of tuning forks made a century or more ago
to use to tune Equal Temperament. Each note was tuned so that there
were four beats per second heard between the fork and the note. This
got me to thinking and I tried something with a pitch source instead
of forks and posted the results on PianoWorld. Hope you enjoy it:

(Copied from a PianoWorld post)

I worked out the theory for using a guitar tuner to tune the
temperament quite a while ago, but only recently have I actually tried
it to see if it is feasible. Whether it is practical or not depends on
the situation.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 GUITAR TUNER TEMPERAMENT

 THEORY: The theoretical musical pitches (using the twelfth root of
two) when raised a “certain amount” above the pitches necessary for a
piano’s iH (inharmonicity) and chosen octave type, or stretch, will
produce a beat rate between the raised theoretical pitches and the
piano’s stretched pitches that is the same for every note. The
“certain amount” that the pitches are raised must result in the
difference in cents between the raised theoretical pitches and the
piano’s stretch pitches doubling for every octave going down the
scale. This will hold true for that portion of the piano that has a
linear iH slope and the octave type does not change.

By using a theoretical pitch source (a guitar tuner) where the base
pitch can be adjusted, this “certain amount” can be found for two
already tuned notes, such as an octave, so that they have the same
beat speed with the pitch source. All other notes will then be in tune
when they also have the same beat rate. These notes need not be
fundamental pitches; they can be partials, which is more practical.

 SEQUENCE: When I tried this I used a Peterson VS-II thru a small
amplifier. The base pitch was adjustable to within 0.1 cent. A typical
guitar tuner does not have this amount of control or accuracy, but I
will address that later. Also, I tuned the temperament octave F3-F4
and judged the beat rate by ear rather than with metronome. (I didn’t
expect it to work as well as it did.) The results were fairly
progressive M3s. For those that were not progressive, the error was
easily determined by listening to the beat rate with the pitch source
which on my Walter Console was about 3 bps.

Tune A4 to a pitch source (A-440). Tune A3 to A4 for the desired
octave stretch. Adjust the pitch source’s base pitch so that it’s A5
to the piano’s A3 produces a beatless 4:1 double octave. Next, compare
the pitch source’s A6 to the piano’s A4. Since we are dealing with the
4th partial of A4, every 1 cent difference in pitch will equal 1 bps.
The number of bps (and cents) that this 4:1 double octave is narrow is
the number of bps (and cents) that this 4:1 double octave will need to
be tuned wide. Let’s say it beats 4 bps, which is also 4 cents. By
raising the pitch source’s base pitch 8 cents, by either using the
controls, or by listening to the beat rate (perhaps with a metronome)
an A4-A6 4 cent wide 4:1 double octave beating 4 bps will result.
Also, an A3-A5 8 cent wide 4:1 double octave beating 4 bps will
result. (It would be best to compare these beat rates to make sure
they are equal.) Now all the piano’s notes that are tuned as a 4 bps
wide 4:1 double octave to the pitch source will result in the pitches
being adjusted for the piano’s iH and the chosen octave type, or
stretch.

 ACCURACY: In order to have progressively beating M3s, each M3 must be
no larger nor smaller than about 7/8 cents of the intervals
chromatically above and below it. So in order to guarantee
progressively beating M3s, each note must be tuned to within about 0.2
cents of ideal. If the pitch source does not have an accuracy of
better than 0.2 cents, progressive M3s cannot be expected without
later refinement.

If the base pitch of the pitch source cannot be adjusted to less than
0.2 cents, then if all notes are tuned to the same beat rate, the M3s
at the end of the octave cannot be expected to beat progressively.
However, by using a beat rate that is interpolated between the beat
rates for A3-A5 and A4-A6, there can be less inaccuracy. This would be
appropriate for a common guitar tuner that has an adjustment of 1 Hz
at A440 (about 4 cents).

Since we are dealing with the fourth partial A3 thru A4, ½ bps thru 1
bps will equal 1 cent error. So, 1/10 bps thru 1/5 bps (or 1 beat in
10 thru 1 beat in 5) accuracy is needed to guarantee progressive M3s.
A metronome might be useful.

There is also the possibility of errors at wire gauge changes.

 PRACTICALLITY: This may be just trivia to some, a mere curiosity or
even nonsense to others. But I do have a limited use for this
technique because I do not use an ETD. I would probably try this if I
needed to tune a non-ET temperament. The VS-II has a number of
pre-programmed UTs and any others could be tuned by using offsets.
Those that want to set a temperament electronically but do not want to
look at an ETD (or are visually impaired and can’t) may want to try
this technique. Also, this technique is not restricted to starting
with an octave, since all notes beat the same with the pitch source.
If a perfect fifth or twelfth or whatever tuning is desired, this can
be accommodated by using the twelfth root of two times the number of
half-steps in the interval to determine how high the “certain amount”
that the pitch source’s base pitch must be raised. Or it can be
determined thru trial and error by comparing the beat rates of the two
notes of the interval with the notes of the pitch source, which should
be checked anyway.

There is one reservation I have about this technique. It may be
allowable and effective in the PTG mid-range exam. Even if it meets
the letter of the exam, I don’t think it would be in the spirit of the
exam.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.