[pianotech] Miking a piano

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Mar 2 19:41:08 PST 2009

RE: [pianotech] Miking a pianoJulia,
Not my field of expertise, but I've seen it done enough and heard the results.
For performance, as opposed to recording, condenser mics along the hammer line seem to work well, sometimes with the lid almost closed.
You have to try different things to avoid feedback and get some attack to cut through the rhythm section. The pianist absolutely needs a monitor.
Or, better yet, use a keyboard.
With bass and drums I personally am more comfortable with a keyboard.
Fenton