[pianotech] S&S action rail replacements?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 10:41:48 PDT 2009

At 11:22 -0400 12/3/09, Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano wrote:

>Definitely buy a blank rail and custom bore.

I agree, and it's not a difficult or long job and quite pleasing.  I
score a line with a scriber along the rail, then clamp the old rail
to the new and, using a small engineers' square scribe across this
line to make a cross for each screw.  Next mark the centres with an
impact punch and then use a 6 mm centre drill

set to stop at the proper height and finally drill down with a normal
twist drill nearly to the bottom of the maple dowel, or, in the case
of the set-off rail, right through.

JD