[pianotech] key position at rest

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 08:26:46 PDT 2009

Is there an established general guideline with respect to the height of the
damper flange center such that with a given damper flange center height the
height of the key end felt off the key bed should be x.  My own approach,
like many, has been to simply to set the action and back action on the
bench, pull a string, depress the key, twist my neck into some position that
might see where things should go and make a best guess as to what should be
changed and how much, do it again.  But with a given back action whose
damper flange downward angle is too acute it seems that there are two
approaches.  You can either lower the height of the back action or increase
the thickness of the key end felt.  Increasing the height of the key end
felt is easier and on the surface has fewer related problems (dag
interference, hole relocations, etc.).  While the distance from the damper
flange center to the balance rail changes from action to action and with it
the slope of the line drawn between them, it seems it would have to change a
lot before the any significant change in the height of that line off the key
bed at the flange/key end felt interface would change.  Just thinking out
loud here.   Nevertheless, it shouldn't be that hard to develop a plug in
formula that measures the flange center height, the distance from the flange
center to the balance pin, the height of the key/balance rail contact point
(off the key bed) and the distance from the balance pin to the key end felt
and come up with the optimum height of the key end felt (off the key bed).
Has anyone done that (before I take it on)?  With overly acute angles of the
underlevers being a common problem it would be an easier approach (I hate
trying to pull all those strings in line and get my eyeballs on some plane
that hopefully sees what's really happening).  Am I missing some downside to
doing it that way?  I prefer math to mock up and best guess when I can get
it.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com