[pianotech] key position at rest

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 15 09:31:12 PDT 2009

Clearly I'm confusing your term "underlever" with the whippen.  What
exactly are you referring to by the term "underlever".  Thanks for your
patience and remember I've been dealing with European terminology for
about 30 years now.

RicB

        Sorry I don't quite get it ... but  1 1/2 inch from where ?
        From  exactly what point on the whippen to exactly what point
        elsewhere does this 1 1/2 inch come from ?

     From the key bed. Generally a S&S will have the key end lifter felt
    at rest at ~1 3/8" from the key bed and the underlever at rest is
    around 1 1/2" from the key bed which is lifted by the key to around
    1 3/4" from the key bed.