[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 11:34:39 PDT 2009

>With the magic line centered in the stroke, how it it possible to
>maintain non sliding contact with the direction reversal?
''
When I set up a capstan to be in-line with 'a line drawn
perpendicular to the cushion at the intersection of the Magic Line'
at half-blow, the angles formed to that line are equal and opposite
between the beginning and end of the key stroke
relative to that line at half-blow.

Most often the capstan is relocate to a slight backward angle,
usually 3 degrees. A few times it was perpendicular to the key.
and once it had a forwards angle which I also 'reversed' the angled
heel. In trials, I do experiment with that 'reverse angle'
to see if it produces a better execution but with the geometry of
stock parts, usually not; it only happened one time.

Regards,

Jon Page