[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 15 12:38:26 PDT 2009

I agree Mike. Already this thread has yielded some good new insight for
myself. Knowing a bit about the reasoning behind the angled backwards
capstan can allow you to make sense of an action thats been mucked
around through the years. And it lets you see better the difference
between one that has been left essentially alone and one thats been
jiggered.

I think I have to take a closer look at Overs forward leaning capstan
configuration... just to see better whats going on.

Cheers
RicB

        Nick writes:

        This all may be relatively useless for the working tech, but
        since the question routinely arises RE “what should do with
        these angled capstans and sloping whip heal?” perhaps we can
        come up with a better answer.*

    Mike replies:

    I think it will be very useful to this working tech, to have had my
    eyes opened to the positive aspects of the sloping capstain and heal
    design. Unfortunately, this was not the first time that I rejected
    and changed a traditional design simply because I didn't fully
    understand it.