[pianotech] capstain/wippen angle, was: key position at rest

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 17 00:11:24 PDT 2009

Hi, Vladan:
	What I'm trying to say is that, in either case, there is a change in the
fulcrum point, and thus the ratio is changing.  Whether the hole is drilled
in the middle or on one side, there is acceleration of the hammer for a
constant velocity of the key through the stroke. If it were otherwise,
Steinway could not advertise it's "accelerated action".  (Could they?)
Moving the pin location will not alter, increase, or decrease the
acceleration.
	Your point that regular punchings and shims do also act imprecisely, and
may also have some ratio alteration in it, is well taken.  I'm not a fan of
altering the punchings by clipping one side, but if it works for the
better, I'm not going to object.  I had a problem with this treatment on a
Bosendorfer in our shop because the punchings were cut too close and had
torn through the hole and fallen out, thus making the keys unlevel. Now
somebody will tell me this was done at the factory!  I hope not.
	Anyway, it is an interesting discussion in this thread about all these
aspects of action geometry.

	Have a nice evening.

	Paul McCloud

point would shift distinctly. Of course, the hole in the key would not be