[pianotech] Do we do Keyboard repairs??

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Wed Mar 18 06:12:10 PDT 2009

I've done repair on Kurzweil and Clavinova. Most of the repairs involve
mechanical issues, key issues, pedals.

Often there is a problem with the rubber contact pads below the keys (or
pedals). Those are easy to change. The symptom will be a note that doesn't
work or is always loud no matter how hard you press it. Be sure to clean the
contact surface on the PC board with rubbing alcohol and Q-tip.

For electronic issues I can get Kurzweil tech support on the phone and they
will walk me through tests to isolate the offending component. Send the
component in for repair and replace it when it comes back. Once I got $70
for replacing the internal battery on a PC88. I first did web research to
find out which battery it needed so I had it when I made the service call.
I've even replaced the micro switches on a Kurweil panel PC board, not my
favorite thing to do, but it is money.

I'm not an electronics guy, but I can de-solder and solder a PC board. So
far I've not run across a problem I can't fix with Tech support on the
phone.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272