[pianotech] Perfect Pitch / Children

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Wed Mar 18 16:03:52 PDT 2009

I used to play trombone in high school and college and I discovered that I could hear in my mind the pitch of the B flat (which would have been the first note of my warm up) before I actually played a note, or heard anyone else start to play.? I also noticed that if I heard a piece of music, then later heard the same piece of music in a different key, it bothered me a little bit.? While I can't tell you whether you are playing an A440 as opposed to 441 or 439, I can tell you what pitch you are closest to.

I have found this to be of no help in piano tuning.? I would happily trade this ability for the ability to accurately identify seconds, like a metronome!?? That would make setting a temperament a lot easier.? (Two cups of strong coffee in the morning, and what I think is 7 beats per second is more like 9!)

The only use I have found for having perfect, or relative or whatever you want to call it is impressing my daughter's in-laws at parties.

Gordon Large, RPT
Hallowell, ME

?