[pianotech] Perfect Pitch / Children

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 22:50:56 PDT 2009

I've wondered for quite some time about the limits of so-called perfect
pitch. I've tried to research this on the internet and not gotten very far
in the past. Can individuals with a high degree of this ability discriminate
between 440 and 440.5? I imagine this has been researched, and it would be
really interesting to know how refined this ability can be.

Franz Moore told a story about Horowitz complaining that the pitch of the
piano was off before a concert. Franz checked it and it was dead on.
Nevertheless, he pretended to tune for a half hour or so and told the
Maestro to try the piano. Ah! Much better! was the reply.

Along the same line a tuning buddy of mine was tuning in the low bass for a
music teacher who claimed to have perfect pitch. After tuning a note the
teacher stopped him and said "are you sure that's correct?" My friend said
"I'll move it a bit and you tell me where you think it sounds best." He put
his lever on the pin and before he had even moved the pin the teacher said
"There! That's it!". Of course my friend had not changed the pitch even
slightly.

 There is an interesting gray area between externally perceived phenomenon
and internally generated phenomenon: i.e. the imagination.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter