[pianotech] Fujan tuning hammer review

PianoCare2 pianocare2 at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 21 01:42:20 PDT 2009

Hello Michael

I enjoyed your observations. A colleague owns a Fujan tuning lever, and he
considers it the best in tuning levers.

I however have the same sickness as you
. I own too many tuning levers, and
I have only been in the industry for 20 years.!!

Let me start on my “sickness”. I started with an original Hale. Don’t know
why I went on my search oh levers as I still think this is a great lever.
After a stint in the Kawai grand factory, I wanted one like their tuning
levers
 An Itoshin 11 ½ inch lever with a short head. 1 3/8 inch I purchased
the lever in Hamamatsu. I should have bought the longer head. 1 ¾ inch
Great on Kawai pianos. I have since bought the Watanabe adjustable and non
adjustable levers. All three Japanese levers I have cut at least 1 inch off
the length and shaped the end. The problem with the Watanabe levers is that
they are just too heavy.

10 inch. I have every head to go with it but my favourite is 1 ¼ 5 degree.
The problem with the tips is that they don’t seem to fit tuning pins to my
liking. I fit the watanabe tip to the schaff and all is ok. This tuning
lever solution I use on frequently tuned pianos.( after reading your
observations I am now aware of the flex ) My hand position is holding the
lever in a bike handle grip with my thumb extended to the head. I like this
method for best control. Develops bigger muscles on the tuning arm also!

I purchased the Jahn extension lever after noticing a number of German techs
using them. I agree with your opinion of the flex
 there is minimal. I own
the 5 and 10 degree heads and have the number 2,3  and 4 tips. I prefer the
5 degree head. With the pianos I service with 7.35mm tuning pins, I have to
use the 4 tip, however it is longer than the standard 2 and 3 tips. 1 ¼ for
2 & 3 and 1 5/8 for 4.  I reversed the head when I use the 4 tip however I
believe that the lever is too high from the tuning pin.  I also think the
lever is a little heavy. I also have the urge to cut off the end of the
lever as well but I know that one day I will need all of the length to tune
some of those tight tuning pins you mentioned. I am getting tense just
thinking of them

I also have a Cyberhammer
 don’t like it. A Schaff Mini
 good for top
treble on grands. I also have a Flugelbauer hammer on which I fit the
watanabe head and tip. Good for uprights, however don’t like the knob for
grands.

So after describing all this madness, you have made me interested in the
Fujan lever. My colleague uses his with the wooden knob, and this is the
reason I have never tried it any further. And too long
.. I do know that he
can feel every lump and bump like I want to. I didn’t know about the other
options.

I’ll give his Fujan a go on Monday

.

So Michael, what do you recommend for me?

Best regards

Brian Wilson

Australia

  _____