[pianotech] Tuning in a down economy

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 21 02:50:48 PDT 2009

Ryan,
Agree.
Something else needs to be said about finding ways to keep your business afloat during a down economy.
 Many times we ( as small business owners)  are so engrossed into the everyday to day happenings with our businesses, that we fail to realize that the public knows very little what we do or the latest happenings in our business.
Sometimes, something as  little as sending a announcement to the local newspapers that you've attended a seminar can add some interest to the public idea. This can result in more people responding to those postcards.
Something else which is affective: good gestures to your  community.
I happened upon a Yamaha U1 this year which was destined for the dump as it was dropped and the insurance company deemed it worthless material. Although it had a serious crack and gouge in the soundboard, along with some cosmetic issues, the remainder of the piano was fine. I took the piano in, did some repairs, and then donated the piano to my daughter's high school band room. The delight and excitement on the director's and administrator's face was well worth the effort.
 I didn't do for the public attention, but as a good gesture towards the school who was having serious financial issues and couldn't afford to add a better piano to the program.  The public acknowledgement which came afterward was overwhelming, which resulted a lot of new customers finding interest in using my services. The cost of my time and delivery was far less vs. the business I received afterwards.
The school acknowledged the gesture in several articles to the newspapers, plus announcements during school production events. The word got out and the result was very positive.
I was surprised that some heard of the news were my neighbors, who never knew what type of work I did. Some even walked their dogs during the same time that I did and weren't even remotely aware of what I did. Whose fault is that. Mine.
Bottom line, in a down economy, work harder at keeping your name in the public eye. There's plenty of business out there. You just have to find ways to make your services worthwhile and of interest to the public. As old fisherman usually say, " if you want more worms, turn over more rocks"
Tom Servinsky