[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 07:17:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:22 AM, <david at piano.plus.com> wrote:

> What do you think about the ethics and the efficacy of doing piano tuning
> and repair as a part-time business when a person has another source of
> income?
>
> There is a view that if you are not tuning full-time you will not maintain
> your skill at a high enough level.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David.

As Conrad said there are tuners and there are tooners. One of the operative
questions might be what the other source of income is, perhaps an allied
art?

I recently refused the request of a customer who wanted to become a tooner
"just for his own and the few church pianos".  He had made it abundantly
clear that he had no interest in making it a fulltime or even part-time
endeavor but rather an infrequent action for just those few mentioned.
After I had explained/convinced him that my reservations were other than a
"fear of competition" which was what he surmised. I was able to convince him
that he would be doing more harm than good.
By "only" tuning the pianos he would not be well versed enough in the
myriad other observations and knowledge necessary that should be made each
time a piano is opened to be serviced, not just tuned. He would in fact be
doing a disservice to himself, the church and any others he chose to tune
for.
Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404