[pianotech] idol voicing

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Mar 30 08:45:18 PDT 2009

Voicing has always been a difficult subject for me and I think many other
technicians. Uppermost is the question, exactly what kind of tone are we
trying to achieve? For those of us who have not had the benefit of working
alongside a master concert prep technician we are left with exploring what
is pleasing to us and our customers, who most often are happy to leave well
enough alone. So when Dale Erwin, David Anderson, Ric Brenke, et al, use
words on this list to describe a wonderful tonal palate of some hammer's
sound, I'm sorta left wondering what that sound really is as I am not there
experiencing it.

Having said all that as way of introduction, I found myself watching
American Idol last week. This is a show I have studiously avoided watching
as I vigorously disagree with the premise that a true artist's career can
only be launched by winning the fickle public's voting lottery. This year
they seem to have some good candidates as finalists, and several of them are
making use of a 9 foot Yamaha grand. Since I suspect many of you have
watched the show, I'd be pleased if you would chime in on what you thought
of this piano's sound.

Myself, I do not care much for it. I find it too percussive and shallow,
sounding more like a GH-1B than what it seems like a 9 footer should sound.
I don't know if it is a hammer issue, a microphone issue, or a mixing issue.
It might be instructive for us less experience voicers out here if some of
you more experienced ones could tell us your opinions of this piano.
Perhaps, if you are aware of other high profile pianos on TV shows, you
could comment on those as well.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272